Student's proficiency in The IIE's Language of Learning and Teaching (LoLT), English, plus partial proficiency (sufficient for basic conversation; i.e. conversational competence) in one other South African official language (excluding Afrikaans) are required components of fundamental learning for this programme. For this, the following will be endorsed on your certificate:
* This higher certificate is delivered in English and thus English is known as the Language of Learning and Teaching (LoLT).
* On successful completion of this Higher Certificate in Early Childhood Care and Education (HC in ECCE), your certificate will be endorsed with LoLT (English).
*If you have an African Language (excluding Afrikaans) as part of your NSC or equivalent, you may receive academic credit for this language.
* If you are claiming conversational competence in an African Language (excluding Afrikaans), you are required to pass a competency test on NQF Level 5 in order to demonstrate conversational competence in such a language and receive academic credit for this language.
* Competency tests are offered in four (4) official languages only, namely, isiXhosa, isiZulu, Sepedi and Setswana on The IIE campuses.
* If conversational competence is claimed in another African language (excluding Afrikaans) other than the four listed above, the onus is on you to provide evidence of NQF Level 5, or higher conversational competence in that language.
* Once you have demonstrated conversational competence in an African language, and on successful completion of the HC in ECCE, your certificate will be endorsed, for example LoCC: isiZulu.
Note: Languages offered are campus dependent.